What is Safe Start?

Sharehouse’s Safe Start program provides short-term accommodation within a range of fully furnished units and houses in the Townsville region. The accommodation is safe, secure, affordable and is suitable for individuals, couples, and families between the ages of 16 and 25 years.

Once you move in, you will be allocated your own youth worker who will work with you to develop an individualised case management plan designed to help you gain independent living and tenancy skills.

To be eligible for Safe Start accommodation in these units and houses, young people must meet the program criteria. Due to demand, availability may be limited however Sharehouse can assist you to find alternative accommodation.

How does it work?

The first step is meet with one of our friendly Youth Workers who will talk to you about your current living situation and record some details. You can arrange a time to meet with one of our workers by dropping into our office, 260 Ross River Road, calling (07) 4771 5346, emailing info@sharehouse.org.au or messaging us on Facebook.

If you are looking for accommodation for one of your clients, please complete a referral form and email it to info@sharehouse.org.au or complete a QHIP referral.

If we have a suitable accommodation option available, we will arrange for you to meet our Property Manager who will help you with the final paperwork, provide you with some keys, and you are ready to move in.

Depending on your personal circumstances you may be required to share your unit. If you do share, you will have your own lockable bedroom however you will need to share the bathroom, kitchen and living spaces. If you are living as a family, you will not be required to share.

Once you move into our accommodation your Youth Worker will be in contact to arrange a time to meet for case management. The youth worker is not on-site so you will be required to be able to live independently.

Furniture: All our units are fully furnished. All you need to bring is your clothes and personal items.

Rent: Once you have an income, you will be expected to pay rent. The amount you pay depends on your income and what you can afford. Our team will help you work out how much your rent will be.

Electricity: Once you have an income you will need to cover your portion of the electricity. The amount you pay will depend on your individual circumstances and needs.

Food: It is expected that you provide your own food and cook your own meals.

How long can I stay and what is expected of me?

Our accommodation is temporary while you increase your tenancy skills and find stable, long-term accommodation, most young people don’t stay for long.

We respond to your individual needs and the length of your stay can vary accordingly. It is expected that during your stay, you will work with our Youth Workers who will help you find somewhere to live long-term.

These long-term options include:

  • Individual Private Rental
  • Shared housing through the private rental market.
  • A community / social housing property.
  • Department of Housing property.

During your stay, you will be expected to live independently with support.

This includes:

  • Meeting regularly with your Youth worker and actively participate in case management.
  • Working towards achieving your goals in your case plan
  • Demonstrating basic living skills to show that you can look after yourself including budgeting, cooking and hygiene.
  • Maintaining the unit in a clean and presentable manner as with any rental property you may live in.
  • Respecting the property, furniture, your housemate and your neighbours.
  • Attending an educational program or working, actively seeking employment, and fulfilling any other reporting requirements.

Do you know someone who needs help?

If you or someone you know needs help, contact us today.
Get in touch