Crisis Accommodation

Do I have to share a unit with someone else?

Any single person will be expected to share with another person. If your children live with you, you are not expected to share a unit.

Every bedroom in all our properties is lockable and your housemate will not have access to your bedroom. It is expected that you will share a kitchen, bathroom and living area and follow the household rules.

Do I need to sign a lease?

Most clients enter a Supported Accommodation Agreement for up to 90 days. After 90 days, or once you have steady income, you will be required to enter either a Rooming Accommodation Agreement or a General Tenancy Agreement.

Can I have a pet?

Unfortunately, pets are not allowed at any Sharehouse units.

Will I get to choose where I live?

No, you will be allocated a unit based on availability. At times you may be asked to move to another unit so we can accommodate other young people in need. You will always be given notice if you are asked to move.

Do I have to do chores?

Yes, it is expected that you develop basic independent living skills which includes keeping your unit clean and tidy. You will be required to work with your housemate to keep the shared areas clean while your bedroom will be your responsibility.

This expectation is part of the Rooming Accommodation Agreements standard Household Rules.

Do I have to pay rent? How much?

Yes, once you have a steady income it is expected that you pay rent every fortnight. The amount of rent you pay depends on what you can afford to pay.

It is expected that you pay 25% of your pay (income) plus the Commonwealth Rent Assistance you are entitled to. Your rent will never be higher than the market rent for the property.

Our Property Manager will be able to advise you how much your rent will be.
This is in line with Department of Housing Rent Policy.

Can I have friends and family stay over?

As most of our young people sign a Rooming Accommodation Agreements there are household rules surrounding having guests. Your Youth Worker will provide guidance on a case by case basis.

Do I need to have my own furniture?

No, all Sharehouse properties are fully furnished including linen and kitchen items. It is expected that you treat these items with respect. You will be expected to pay the cost of any damages.

What is Case Management?

While you are in our accommodation it is expected that you engage in case management with one of our Youth Workers on a weekly basis. Alternatively, our Mobile Support workers can assist you through case management.

Case management is a process where our Youth Workers help you work out what your goals are within in a range of areas. They will then assist you to reach your goals. The relationship you build with your Youth Worker is unique and based on your individual needs.

The primary aims of our case management is to help you gain independence, build tenancy skills and to support you while you to find secure, long-term accommodation.

The types of things we can help you with through case management include:

• Getting an income (Job or Centrelink)
• Learning to budget
• Increasing your independent living skills including cooking, cleaning, navigating public transport
• General tenancy skills
• Finding alternative long-term accommodation
• Finding and applying for training or employment
• Your general health and wellbeing
• Connecting positively with your community
• Referrals to other services

Mobile Outreach Support

If you are currently homeless, need to find somewhere else to live, or are at risk of losing your accommodation our team can help.
Contact Us